Saturday, October 4, 2014

2nd Conditionals: Foods we miss while travelling



The second conditional is used to talk about ‘unreal’ or impossible things.
Examples: 
If I won the lottery I´d buy a beach house in California. 
Where would you travel if you could go anywhere in the world?
If you didn’t smoke so much you’d feel a lot better.

The structure is usually if + past simple and would + infinitive. It’s not important which clause comes first.

Look at the difference between the first and second conditionals.

·       In January: If it snows tomorrow I’ll go skiing. (It might snow tomorrow.)
·       In August: If it snowed tomorrow I’d go skiing. (It almost certainly won’t snow tomorrow.)


NOTE: Although many conditional sentences use if + will/would, conditional sentences can also use other words instead of ‘if’ – e.g. ‘when’ ‘as soon as’ ‘in case’ Other modal verbs can be used instead of ‘will/would’ – e.g. ‘can/could’, ‘may’ ‘might’.

Okay, let´s put this theory into practice. I´ll go first. The question is, which foods do you miss the most while traveling or living abroad? Use the conditionals to talk about this topic.

pancake breakfast





Here is a list of 17 Foods all Americans miss while living in Europe. In my opinion, it is spot on.



       
bagel and cream cheese
  • if + past simple and would + infinitive: If it was Saturday morning in California, I would eat a typical American breakfast from my favorite diner.
  • if + past simple and would + infinitive: If I could, I would have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch everyday.
  • if + past simple and would + infinitive: If I had to choose, I would say I miss Thanksgiving dinner the most.
  • tex-mex
  • I might be able to eat more authentic Mexican food if I lived in California.
  • When I can, I may bring some hot sauce back to Spain with me.
  • I will try to make my own bagels here, if I can.
  • As soon as I go to visit, my family will have a BBQ.
  • In case I can´t return this year, I will still enjoy the spanish cuisine!



With a partner, discuss the things you miss most while traveling abroad, using these structures:

  • if + will/would
  • when
  • as soon as
  • in case
  • can/could
  • may
  • might

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!