Saturday, December 14, 2013

Nelson Mandela: In his own words

An ideal for which I am prepared to die is one of Mandela's most famous speeches. It was made at the opening of his trial on charges of sabotage in front of the Supreme Court of South Africa on April 20, 1964.


"During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."

Click here to listen to the speech and see the full transcript



Want to read more about Nelson Mandela? Click here for more on Nelson Mandela´s Legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!